What is SkinPen®?
SkinPen® by Crown Aesthetics is the first FDA-cleared microneedling device on the market and is clinically proven to improve the appearance of wrinkles of the neck and acne scars in patients ages 22 and older. In as few as three minimally invasive treatments spaced 30 days apart, you can improve your appearance and step out with confidence.
How does microneedling work? It creates thousands of microchannels that stimulate your body’s natural wound healing process, while minimizing cellular damage. This rejuvenates your skin from the inside out. The result is effective remodeling of scar tissue, while keeping the overall structure of the skin intact.
There are three phases to the wound-repair process:
- Phase I: Inflammation. Piercing the skin triggers your immune system to cleanse the wound, remove debris, increase blood flow and begin to create new tissue.
- Phase II: Proliferation. The wound is rebuilt with new granulation cells, which are part of the extracellular matrix. Additionally, a new network of blood vessels develops.
- Phase III: Remodeling. The wound is replaced with new dermal tissues and blood vessels.
Best of all, SkinPen® works. Ninety percent of subjects in the clinical trial would recommend the procedure to family and friends.
Benefits of SkinPen®
- Little Downtime: It is a perfect treatment for patients with a busy schedule.
- Natural Recovery: SkinPen®’s mechanical process is versatile and usable year-round.
- Safe for all Skin Types: Clinically proven effective on all skin types
- Safe and Sound: The First FDA-cleared microneedling device on the market
- Comfortable: A light numbing cream may be used to minimize discomfort
SkinPen® with PRP
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP), facilitated by the SkinPen®, uses your skin’s natural properties and ability to repair damaged tissues. This allows your skin to look its very best.
Using a small sample of your blood, the blood is spun, resulting in enriched plasma that can be applied where it is needed with the SkinPen®. The SkinPen® uses a microneedling process that creates mini injuries. As the skin heals with SkinPen® aftercare, the result is better-looking, youthful and smooth skin.
The SkinPen® Treatment:
- Stimulates skin repair
- Is perfect for all types of skin
- Is effective against wrinkles, fine lines, acne scars, and more!
- Uses a natural remodeling process
The result of the microneedling procedure is new collagen and elastin, which comes without scar tissue and assists the skin in maintaining a beautiful appearance. These quick procedures are suitable and effective on all body parts and require little to no downtime.
Preparing For SkinPen®
With the highest level of safety and medical-grade quality, SkinPen® precisely delivers thousands of micro punctures to the skin- stimulating the growth of new collagen and elastic fibers. Over time, this helps to improve the appearance of scars, fine lines, pores, uneven pigmentation, and overall skin texture.
The skin may be treated with anesthetic prior to the procedure to reduce discomfort, which tends to be mild but may vary from person to person. Redness and swelling (like a sunburn) are common for 1 to 3 days but may last longer. A series of treatments provides the best results; improvement is gradual and may continue months after treatment.
Please consider the following recommendations about how to prepare for treatments:
One Week Prior to Microneedling
- Avoid blood thinning over-the-counter medications such as aspirin, Motrin, ibuprofen, and Aleve (unless prescribed by your physician.)
- Minimize sun exposure (a tan could affect your treatment results and healing).
- Avoid supplements, including St. John’s Wort, Gingko biloba, primrose oil, garlic, ginseng, and Vitamin E.
24 Hours Prior to Microneedling
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior.
- Please drink plenty of fluids the day before your procedure, especially if you are getting PRP. If you are dehydrated, it is much more difficult to draw your blood and you will not have as much plasma.
- If you have previously suffered from facial cold sores, there is a risk that the needle punctures could contribute to another eruption of cold sores. Please let your provider know if you are prone.
- Avoid dental procedures (including cleaning) 2 weeks pre-filler and 2 weeks post-filler
The Day of Treatment
- Arrive at the office with a “clean face”—washed and without makeup.
- In order to maximize your comfort during the procedure, a topical anesthetic may be applied.
- Drink plenty of fluids before you come to your appointment.
What To Do After SkinPen®:
- You will be sent home with a cleanser and serum after your treatment. Only apply these products for the first 24-48 hours.
- Do not apply makeup to the treated area for 24-48 hours.
- Take acetaminophen and use ice to reduce discomfort as necessary.
- You may apply sunscreen 24 hours after your procedure. Be sure to use physical (mineral i.e. zinc and titanium dioxide) sunscreen rather than chemical sunscreen during the healing process.
- To help alleviate swelling, we recommend an antihistamine during the day, such as Zyrtec or Claritin, and Benadryl at night.
*DO NOT APPLY ANY GLYCOLIC ACIDS, RETINOIDS, OR ANTI-AGING/ANTI-ACNE PRODUCTS UNTIL AT LEAST SEVEN DAYS AFTER YOUR TREATMENT.